Possibilty of crash and recovery techniques

I am new to this software and want to buy a license.It would be great if i get answers to the following questions.

1. What is the probabilty of crash of the server and how fast can it be recovered?
  2. What is the effect on the machine in case of the crash

Hi,

a good starting point is the documentation about backup & recovery.
https://www.symcon.de/en/service/documentation/backup-and-recovery/
If you have further questions feel free to ask.

BR

hello,
Thank you very much for the assistance. The document was really helpful but my main question is the probabilty of the server crash and when it restarts in case of a crash

I use this software since 13 years. Over the years I had an hard disk failure once. After restoring the backup (fortunately a current one) to the new drive the system was running again.
If you want to use an RPI you should have a spare SD card always available.

HTH
Attain

The question should not be about how the probability is. The question should be how can you prepare and how fast can you recover. When you have backups of the symcon data, you will be up and running within minutes. Having a recent backup of the data is key. Make sure to have a backup solution running or to use my DropBox Module which will sync to dropbox every hour.

The software itself is very robust and we have customers that have it running 24/7 since years without a crash. Therefore the probability that the software will fail is very low - but if the hardware fails you want to have backups to get everything restored.

And if you meant crash like „Windows crashed“ then it doesn’t matter. We have automatic snapshots that will be used when Windows restarts.

paresy

There are many possible solutions, I use rsync every 10 minutes to my storage system. „Data los“ in such a case are the 10 minutes, during normal operation you „only“ lose archive data, e.g. temperature values or similar.

MTTR is mainly copy of RaspiOS image, burning to the USB stick, configure all relevant unix and applications parts, install symcon and copy my symcon data back.

That work in less then one hour from scratch ;-).